“This was a wonderful program that strengthened my love for language. The group of participants was very diverse and the instructors were very competent. I enjoyed myself very much!"
- SLIYS '18 Participant
- Why should I attend SLIYS?
- Will I get better grades in my foreign language classes after attending SLIYS?
- Who will my fellow scholars be?
- Who are the instructors?
- What will be the ratio of instructors to youth scholars?
- How will admissions decisions be reached?
- What are the dates of SLIYS?
- When are applications due?
- When will I find out whether I have been accepted?
- What does commuter tuition include?
- What does residential tuition include?
- When is tuition due?
- Is financial aid available?
SLIYS will provide you with tools to better understand how languages work. You will learn about sound systems, grammatical systems, writing systems, and the ways that speakers of different languages interact with each other. Whether you want to become a foreign language teacher, join the Peace Corps, live in another country, or whatever your reason for studying another language, the knowledge you gain from your SLIYS experience is certain to help!
While we cannot guarantee that SLIYS will improve your grades, many students find that having a better understanding of language allows them to become more sophisticated and adept language learners.
Participants will be students just like you; that is, high school students (entering 9th-12th grade) from all around the country who are interested in language learning.
Instructors are members of the Department of Linguistics at the Ohio State University, including faculty, staff, and PhD candidates. They have a wide range of linguistic expertise and are familiar with an extensive and diverse collection of the world's languages.
The anticipated ratio of instructors to students will be approximately 1:15.
Admissions will be based on a review of your application materials. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate a keen interest in languages and language learning.
There will be four sessions of SLIYS '20, each running one week in length:
- SLIYS I – Session 1: June 14 – 19
- SLIYS II – Session 1: June 21 – 26
- SLIYS I – Session 2: July 5 – 10
- SLIYS II – Session 2: July 12 – 17
- SLIYS I AND II Combined Program: June 14 – 26 OR July 5 – 17
Applications are due May 15, 2020.
Participants will be notified of acceptance no later than two weeks after the application deadline (May 15).
- Five days of instruction
- Instructional materials
- A SLIYS t-shirt
- Everything included in commuter tuition
- Meals and housing
- Transportation to and from scheduled events
A non-refundable $25 deposit is due within 14 days of notification of acceptance to confirm a spot in the program. The remaining tuition is due no later than June 7th, 2020. Payment should be in the form of a check or money order made out to "The Ohio State University" and sent to the following address:
ATTN: Dr. Julie McGory
106 Oxley Hall
1712 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210 USA
Need-based financial aid is available. For more information please contact Dr. Julie McGory at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-688-3109.