News and Events
- Linguistics Calendar: Info about events.
- Marie Catherine de Marneffe's paper, 'The life and death of discourse entities: Identifying singleton mentions' with Marta Recasens and Chris Potts won the best short paper award at the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL) 2013.
- Scott Martin has accepted a position as a Research Scientist at Nuance Communication's new natural language understanding lab in Silicon Valley.
- Adam Royer and to Rebecca Byrne have each received a Buckeye Language Network (BLN) Undergraduate Research Award for $1,250.
- Carl Pollard has been awarded a Grant-in-Aid for International Travel from the division of Arts and Humanities for travel Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Craige Roberts has been awarded awarded $3,000 in the Spring Research Enhancement Grant competition in the division of Arts & Humanities.
- Congratulations to Jane Mitsch and Abby Walker, who have won the department's teaching awards!
- We are pleased to announce the publication of OSU WPL Volume 60, downloadable here.
- Department Newsletter; News Archive.
The Ohio State University Department of Linguistics is at the core of a large interdisciplinary community of linguists who participate in the Buckeye Language Network (BLN). The department offers a rigorous and broad graduate training program leading to the Ph.D. degree, and has had a strong placement record in both academia and industry for the more than 150 graduates since the program was established in 1965. There is an equally broad and rigorous undergraduate program with both a major leading to a BA degree and minors tailored to many of the related disciplines that are part of the BLN, in keeping with our larger Mission and Vision statements. The department also offers the Summer Linguistic Institute for Young Scholars 2013 (SLIYS), two week-long July sessions for high school students.
The first department chair was our esteemed colleague Ilse Lehiste, who passed away on December 25, 2010. We maintain a webpage in her honor. If you have thoughts, pictures or other things you would like to share on this page, please send them to email@example.com. You can also contribute to the Ilse Lehiste Memorial Fund (#313586), either online or by mail to The Ohio State University Foundation, Office of University Development, 1480 West Lane Avenue, Columbus, OH 43221.