Welcome to SLIYS (pronounced "SLICE"), a weeklong summer language program for high school and pre-college students organized by the Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University.
SLIYS promotes foreign language study (including Spanish, Korean, French, Turkish, Chinese, and additional foreign languages) in all aspects by cultivating a deeper appreciation of language similarities and differences. Our aim is to provide high school students with greater linguistic awareness and understanding, with the ability to think critically about language, and with a deeper appreciation for all aspects of language and language study.
Two sessions available
- Session 1: July 12 – 17
- Session 2: July 19 – 24
Commuter or Residential option
- Commuter tuition is $395. This includes instruction fees for materials, facilities, and a SLIYS t-shirt. Scholars with commute to and from SLIYS each day.
- Residential tuition is $695. In addition to instruction fees (above), this includes housing in OSU dorms and all meals for the week.
See the Tuition page, for more information on fees and scholarships.
DEADLINE: May 30, 2015
New online application for 2015! This form cannot be saved and finished later. A parent or legal gaurdian must also be present to fill out some parts of the form. Please have ready concise (a few sentences) responses to the following questions:
- Do you have any international travel experience? If so, tell us about it.
- What other experience do you have with foreign language?
- Share one fact you have learned about language in general or about one language in particular you find interesting.
- Why are you interested in studying languages?
The required Teacher Recommendation Form can also be filled out online. Be sure to direct your teacher to this webpage to fill out the form before the deadline. It shouldn't take any longer than fifteen minutes to complete the form. It is recommended that your teacher knows you well.
If you would like paper forms that you can mail to us *or* if you have any additional questions, please contact Dr. Julie McGory, email@example.com, for more information.
"Every kid who had an interest in language should know about this. I met great people who share my passion. I now have a concrete understanding of what exactly linguists DO, and how they make living."
- SLIYS '14 Participant