Interested in Linguistics - Contact an advisor
What is linguistics?
Linguistics is the scientific study of language. There are many subfields of linguistics, focusing on different aspects of language.
A B.A. in linguistics provides students with important skills that are useful in many careers, some not even related to linguistics.
Programs in linguistics
Follow these links to find out more about majoring or minoring in linguistics. Did you know that when you double major, you can count GEC courses both for your major and for GEC credit? This is an effective way of enhancing your academic record and making yourself more competitive on the job market. Doing a double major is a smart decision!
- The Linguistics Major, two available tracks.
- Minor in Linguistics: connecting a sub-fields of linguistics to other disciplines
- Honors Major: What you need to do to get an Honors Major degree in Linguistics
- Honors Minor: Obtaining an Honors Minor in Linguistics.
- Courses for undergraduates in Linguistics.
Research is an exciting and important part of the Linguistics Department at OSU. Find out how you can get involved!
- Linguistics Outside the Classroom (LOC)
- Internships: Suitable research projects available for interns to work and learn about the topic.
- Independent study Information about creating an independent study.
- Undergrad Research Seminar: an opportunity for a student/faculty pair to develop and execute a plan of research
- Denman Forum: an annual research forum for undergraduates with cash prizes for research.
Did you know that there is a club for undergraduates interested in linguistics? In addition to getting together to geek out about linguistics, The Underlings has hosted a number of interesting events, including invited speakers, and panels about about grad school, research, and getting jobs.
The Department of Linguistics is located in Oxley Hall at 1712 Neil Ave.
Linguistics Major/Minor Advisor:
106 Oxley Hall
Honors Ling Major/Minor Advisor:
314 Oxley Hall