Welcome to SLIYS (pronounced "SLICE"), a weeklong summer language program for high school and pre-college students organized by the Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University.
SLIYS introduces students with an interest in foreign languages to the scientific study of language. Participants will explore how language works on many levels as well as gain insight into the ways in which individual languages are similar to and different from each other. Our aim is to provide high school students with greater linguistic awareness and understanding, with the ability to think critically about language, and with a deeper appreciation for all aspect of language and language study.
We are offering two sessions of SLIYS I and one session of SLIYS II. Students new to the program can choose to attend either session of SLIYS I. New students interested in SLIYS II as well can choose to attend the combined session OR separate sessions (ie. they can enroll in the first session of SLIYS I June 23 – 28, then return for SLIYS II July 14 – 19). Students attending SLIYS from previous years may enroll directly into SLIYS II. Students enrolled in just the second session of SLIYS I or SLIYS II will be together with the students doing the combined program.
- SLIYS I – Session 1: June 23 – 28
- SLIYS I – Session 2: July 7 – 12
- SLIYS II – July 14 – 19
- SLIYS I AND II Combined Program: July 7 – 19
NOTE: we will accept students on a rolling basis — meaning that it is possible that SLIYS sessions will fill before the June 1st application deadline.
Commuter or Residential Option
- One week session: Commuter tuition is $450. This includes instruction fees for materials, facilities, and a SLIYS t-shirt. Scholars will commute to and from SLIYS each day.
- One week session: Residential tuition is $750. In addition to instruction fees (above), this includes tranportation to scheduled events, housing in OSU dorms and all meals for the week.
- Combined program (SLIYS I and SLIYS II): $900 for commuter option (weekend is not included for commuters) and $1800* for residential option (includes weekend supervision, dorm costs, and meals).
NOTE: Scholars will be supervised during the two days between the SLIYS I and II combined session and are able to reside in the dorms during this time. They will be supervised and activities will be planned for them. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
See the tuition page, for more information on fees and scholarships.
Deadline: June 1, 2019
SLIYS I and SLIYS II Application
This application is for those who are interested only in SLIYS I and for those who are interested in taking both SLIYS I and SLIYS II. This form cannot be saved and finished later. A parent or legal guardian must also be present to fill out some parts of the form. Please have ready concise (a few sentences) responses to the following questions:
- Do you have any international travel experience? If so, tell us about it.
- What other experience do you have with foreign language?
- Share one fact you have learned about language in general or about one language in particular you find interesting.
- Why are you interested in studying languages?
The required Teacher Recommendation Form can also be filled out online. Be sure to direct your teacher to this webpage to fill out the form before the deadline. An optional email can be sent to your teacher through the online form (requires your teacher's name and email). It shouldn't take any longer than fifteen minutes to complete the form. It is recommended that your teacher knows you well.
ONLY SLIYS 2 Application
This application is only for those who have already completed SLIYS I in previous years and are interested in returning. This form cannot be saved and finished later. A parent or legal guardian must also be present to fill out some parts of the form. Please have ready concise (a few sentences) responses to the following questions:
- Please describe one instance where you used information you learned from SLIYS I.
- Who were your SLIYS I instructors?
- What topics do you remember covering in SLIYS I?
- What topic(s) would you be most interested in learning about this year?
NOTE: A teacher reccomendation is not required for those who are only applying to SLIYS II.
If you would like paper forms that you can mail to us OR if you have any additional questions, please contact Dr. Julie McGory, email@example.com, for more information.
"SLIYS was an amazing experience to learn about something that my high school didn't offer. If you want to be able to dive head first into language and linguistics while also meeting new friends with similar interests to you, I would highly recommend the camp."