“This was a wonderful program that strengthened my love for language. The group of participants was very diverse and the instructors were very competent. I enjoyed myself very much!"
- SLIYS '18 Participant
- Why should I attend SLIYS?
- Will I get better grades in my foreign language classes after attending SLIYS?
- Who will my fellow scholars be?
- Who are the instructors?
- What will be the ratio of instructors to youth scholars?
- How will admissions decisions be reached?
- What are the dates of SLIYS?
- When are applications due?
- When will I find out whether I have been accepted?
- What does tuition include?
- What equipment are participants required to have?
- When is tuition due?
- Is financial aid available?
SLIYS will provide you with tools to better understand how languages work. You will learn about sound systems, grammatical systems, writing systems, and the ways that speakers of different languages interact with each other. Whether you want to become a foreign language teacher, join the Peace Corps, live in another country, or whatever your reason for studying another language, the knowledge you gain from your SLIYS experience is certain to help!
While we cannot guarantee that SLIYS will improve your grades, many students find that having a better understanding of language allows them to become more sophisticated and adept language learners.
Participants will be students just like you: high school students (entering 9th-12th grade) from all around the world who are interested in language learning.
Instructors are doctoral students studying in the Department of Linguistics at the Ohio State University. Linguistics faculty and staff also participate as guest speakers. Instructors have a wide range of linguistic expertise and are familiar with an extensive and diverse collection of the world's languages.
The anticipated ratio of instructors to students will be approximately 1:12.
Admissions will be based on a review of your application materials. Preference will be given to students who demonstrate a keen interest in languages and language learning.
There will be four sessions of SLIYS 2024, each running one week in length. All sessions will be online.
- SLIYS I (June session): June 10 - 14
- SLIYS II (June session): June 24 - 28
- SLIYS I (July session): July 8 - 12
- SLIYS II (July session): July 15 - 19
By May 8, 2024. Please see our How to apply page for more details.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in late February. You can expect to hear back within a month of your application materials being submitted (including the teacher recommendation for SLIYS I), or within two weeks after the May 8 application deadline--whichever comes first.
- Five days (MTWRF) of course instruction: 12:00PM - 5:00PM EDT (with intermittent breaks)
- A laptop or desktop computer is preferable. Tablets are discouraged but can be used.
- A quiet room to participate through the entirety of SLIYS.
- Headphones are preferable, but computer speakers can be used.
- Built in or attached video camera or webcam. Students will be using video through the entirety of SLIYS.
A non-refundable $25 deposit is due within two weeks of notification of acceptance to reserve a spot in the program. The remaining tuition is due no later than May 15. We accept major credit cards and will provide information regarding payment once the student has been accepted.
Need-based financial aid is available. For more information, please contact Dr. Liz McCullough at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-688-3109.